Frequently Asked

Have a question that isn't covered on this page? Contact the CLAS Academic Services Center via the chat window on our website, email, or submit a question to the Center.

Degree Options, Majors, and Minors

How do I get the CLAS Dean’s signature?

The Academic Services Center has staff members who are authorized to sign on behalf of the CLAS dean. Stop by the Center’s main office in the Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, room 130, to obtain a dean’s signature. Please be aware that you may need to make an appointment to meet with an advisor to potentially obtain a signature.


Who is my advisor?

Once you formally declare your major, you will be assigned an advisor in that major. Your advisor’s contact information is listed on your student center page in PeopleSoft. You can also search our advisor directory for the appropriate contact for your major.

How do I declare my major?

To formally declare or change your major in CLAS, please fill out our online program change form. Visit our degree options page for more information about CLAS major and minor.

How do I declare a minor?

To formally declare a CLAS minor, please fill out our online program change form.

What do I do if I am in the Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES) and am interested in a CLAS major?

To formally change your major/program from ACES to CLAS, please fill out our online program change form.

Will the minor be listed on my diploma?

No, the minor will only be listed on your transcript.

I want to double major; what do I do?

For instructions on declaring a double major, please visit our degree options page.

What if I want to do an additional degree in another school or college?

You can get a form to declare an additional degree from CLAS or the school/college you want to add. The CLAS Academic Services Center has the forms to start this process. Please keep in mind that each school/college within UConn has its own procedures for declaring an additional degree. To view the College's instructions on how to declare an additional degree, please visit our degree options page.

What is the difference between an additional degree and a double major?

Double Major

A double major can be earned in two majors offered by CLAS only. You cannot earn a double major in two different schools or colleges. Your diploma will have one degree and will list two majors (e.g. a BA in English and sociology).

Additional Degree

An additional degree can be earned in two different schools or colleges with an added 18 credits at the 2000-level over the degree with the higher credit requirement. You will receive two degrees (e.g. a BA in English and BS in engineering), and you will receive two diplomas at graduation.

For more information, please see our degree options page.

Courses and Credits

I want to register for a course that is full. What can I do?

If a student is attempting to enroll in a class that is full and a waitlist is available, the student should add themselves to the waitlist. If there is no waitlist available, students should reach out to their advisor for guidance.

Can I take more than 17 credits next semester?

If you earned a 2.6 term GPA in the previous semester (spring or fall), you can take 18 credits next semester without permission.

If you had a 2.6 or above in the previous term (summer or winter) but are still unable to enroll in 18 credits, contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.

If you are interested in taking more than 18 credits next semester, please fill out an Excess Credit Request form.

Please note that under no circumstances are students allowed to enroll in more than 22 credits in any one semester.

Can I drop a course after the eleventh week of classes?

In certain rare circumstances, students may drop a course after the eleventh week of the semester. If a student feels there is an extenuating circumstance that would merit a late drop the student should make an appointment with an advisor in the CLAS Academic Services Center.

The student must provide evidence, through documentation, that extenuating circumstances beyond their control prevented them from dropping the course during the 11-week drop period. Please note that exceptions are not made for a student’s poor academic performance.

Can I place a course on, or take a course off, pass/fail grading after the eleventh week of classes?

The deadline to place a class on or take a class off pass/fail grading is the eleventh week of the semester. The deadline date is articulated in the University's academic calendar. The College does not make exceptions to this deadline date.

What if I want to substitute a course for a CLAS general education requirement?

Under certain circumstances, you can request to substitute a course you have already taken for a course required to complete your degree through the CLAS Academic Services Center. Please review the Substitution Request form for more information.

Can I take a course at another school while I’m enrolled at UConn?

Yes. Many students take courses at colleges closer to home over the summer or during intersession. To do so, students should fill out a Prior Course Approval form prior to enrolling in the course. Learn more about transferring credit as a current student on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.

Will a course taken elsewhere count toward a general education requirement?

Students should consult their advisor to determine whether or not a course from another institution will fulfill a general education requirement or count as an elective.

Will courses taken elsewhere count toward my grade point average?

No. It is standard for all colleges to count only work done within the institution for the grade point average and for honors designations. Thus, the course and the credits transfer but the grade does not. In addition, the University requires that the student earn a C or better in a course for it to be eligible for transfer.

Will courses at the UConn regional campuses count toward a general education requirement and/or count toward my grade point average?

Yes, these are UConn courses. They count the same as any other UConn courses, and no transfer action is required.

Will a course taken elsewhere count toward major requirements?

Only courses taken at UConn can be applied towards the 2000-level major requirements, unless an exception is made by the student’s major department and dean. Transfer Admissions can supply students with the name of the designated department evaluator who will review the transfer coursework to evaluate its equivalency.