Academic Regulations

The University has a set of academic regulations that all undergraduate students must follow. By accepting admission, the student assumes responsibility for knowing and complying with the regulations and procedures set forth by the University. Review the University's academic regulations.

CLAS Academic Policies

In addition to University regulations, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has its own policies on the topics outlined below. Please review the following policies carefully. If you have a question about these policies, schedule an appointment with the CLAS Academic Services Center.

Academic Adjustments for Students with Disabilities

In certain exceptional cases, students with learning disabilities may request an adjustment to their Second Language Competency and Quantitative (Q) Competency general education requirements. Please review the Academic Adjustments Policy on the UConn Advising website for full details and important deadlines.

CLAS students who wish to submit an academic adjustment petition to the University's Academic Adjustments Committee must first meet with a representative from the Center for Students with Disabilities and a representative from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. If a student's request for academic adjustments to University-level requirements is approved by the Academic Adjustments Committee, and if the student seeks additional adjustments for their CLAS requirements, students will also work with the CLAS representative to identify appropriate course accommodations.

To meet with the CLAS representative, please contact Rebecca Walker.

    Academic Misconduct Policies & Procedures

    Students and faculty who find themselves involved in cases of academic misconduct should review the University’s Academic Integrity in Undergraduate Education and Research policy. The Office of Community Standards is responsible for overseeing this policy's implementation. For information on how cases of academic misconduct are administered, please visit the Community Standards Academic Misconduct Procedures web page.

    Important points to note:

    • Students should be made aware of the instructor’s expectations regarding academic misconduct. These should be detailed in the course syllabus, and then reviewed with students.
    • Students must be notified in writing of alleged misconduct within 5 days of the event occurring.
    • All allegations of academic misconduct, whether resolved in the department or at a hearing, must be reported to Community Standards so that Community Standards has an accurate record of the student’s entire conduct history. To report a case of academic misconduct, please submit an Academic, Scholarly, and Professional Integrity Misconduct Report.

      COVID-19 (Spring 2020)

      During the spring 2020 semester only, the University and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences amended certain policies related to pass/fail graded courses and amended certain deadlines. Please see these policies below.

      University Policy

      • Due to COVID-19, students were permitted to drop courses up until Friday, May 1, 2020.
      • Courses taken on pass/fail during the spring 2020 semester will count toward all University and CLAS general education requirements.
      • Students with less than 26 earned credits and on scholastic probation were allowed to place classes on pass/fail during the spring 2020 semester.
      • Students were allowed to elect pass/fail grading through May 15, 2020.
      • During the spring 2020 semester, in order to qualify for Dean’s List, full-time students would have to have met the following criteria:
        • 6 or more calculable credits taken in the semester. (Pass/fail or S/U graded courses are not calculable credit courses.)
        • Ranked in the upper 25% percentile in the school or college and present a minimum semester grade point average of a 3.00.
        • No grade below a C, including the actual letter grade awarded in any pass/fail course taken, in the semester.

      CLAS Policies on Pass/Fail Grading and Minor/Major Requirements

      In recognition of the challenges associated with COVID-19 and moving all classes to an online format in the middle of the spring 2020 semester, CLAS altered its restrictions on pass/fail courses to provide flexibility for students who wanted to use this option for some of the courses in their major/minor.

      For courses take in in the spring 2020 semester, CLAS students can count:

      • Courses taken on pass/fail during the spring 2020 semester only may be used to meet University and College-level general education requirements.
      • A maximum of 3 courses (up to 4 credits each) taken as pass/fail toward their major and related coursework.
      • A maximum of 3 courses (up to 4 credits each) towards their CLAS minor.
      • Over the full period in which degrees are complete, a minimum of 5 courses (15 credits) within each major and 3 courses (9 credits) within each minor must be taken for a grade.
      • Students in the cognitive science major may NOT use COGS 2201 taken on pass/fail option in the major.
      • MATH 2710/2710W and MATH 2142 on pass/fail in spring 2020 may not be used as a prerequisite for any subsequent course a student needs to or plans to take if a minimum grade of a C is required.
      • No more than 7 credits of statistics coursework placed on pass/fail may be used towards the statistics minor. Statistics minors must have a least 3 classes (9 credits) of graded coursework contributing to the minor.

      Grade Appeals

      The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers guidelines for undergraduate students who are appealing a grade in a course that is taught by a CLAS department. Appeals of grades for courses residing in another UConn school or college should be referred to the corresponding school or college Dean.

      Grade appeals must be based on errors or failures in the grading process that the student believes affected the grade. Dissatisfaction with a grade is not sufficient to warrant an appeal.

      Process Overview

      • Students must first appeal the grade to the instructor. The student has 10 days from the day the grade is posted to appeal to the course instructor.  It is recommended that this be done in writing (e.g., email) to establish a timeline and record of the appeal.
      • If the instructor does not approve the appeal, the student must request a review by the department head. The student has 10 days to appeal to the department head after a faculty’s decision denying a grade change. Again, this should be in writing to establish a record of the request and the outcome of the request.
      • If the department head does not provide a remedy, the student may only then appeal to the CLAS Grade Appeal Committee.
      • Students should schedule a meeting with an advisor in the CLAS Academic Services Center to discuss next steps in the process. In this meeting, the student will be provided with information about how to appeal the grade to the CLAS Grade Appeal Committee and what documentation they would need to provide to support their appeal.
      • Upon review of the student's Grade Appeal Request and documentation, the CLAS Grade Appeal Committee will perform an administrative review to determine if there are sufficient grounds to proceed with an appeal hearing. Allowable reasons for a grade change request comprise computational errors, clerical errors, and the discovery of overlooked components in a student’s body of work.
      • If the committee finds that a hearing is justified, one will be scheduled within 10 business days.

      For more information, please see the section on Grade Appeals on the Guidelines and Procedures page of the CLAS website.



      To graduate, you must apply for graduation through the Student Administration System no later than the fourth week of the semester you hope to graduate (or the last four weeks of the spring semester if you plan to graduate in August). The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be processed and any issues can be resolved.

      You must also submit a plan of study for all majors/minors you are completing at the time of graduation. Plans of study are submitted through the Student Administration System after students apply to graduate. After students submit final plans of study for all majors/minors, the plans are reviewed by the degree auditors in the Registrar’s Office. Learn more about steps for successful graduation on the Registrar's website.

      Learn more about commencement (graduation ceremony).

      Internship Policy

      Established: February 9, 1999
      Last updated: April 21, 2020


      Many departments and programs in the College offer experiential learning in the form of internships (also called “field study” and “practicum”). Some of the courses have been offered for twenty years. The specific nature and educational objectives of those courses vary: some are intended as preprofessional learning experiences; others offer opportunities for applied research; still others provide practical application of principles learned in the classroom. The College recognizes the important role that internships may play in a research university like the University of Connecticut. At the same time, the College recognizes the critical importance of defining and enforcing strict standards for internships so that student interns in fact receive the intended benefits.


      No Retroactive Credit: To receive credit for an internship, a student must enroll in an internship course prior to undertaking the work. No credit may be given, retroactively, for internship work undertaken without being properly enrolled in advance.

      Credit Restrictions:

      • A student may count no more than fifteen (15) internship credits towards a bachelor’s degree in CLAS.
      • Each credit for internship work must entail at least forty-two (42) hours of work per semester or term.
      • The required number of hours of work must be stated clearly in the contract for the internship.

      Evaluation of Internship Performance

      Internship Contract. All internship courses must include as an integral part a learning contract, or work plan that is signed by both the instructor of record and the internship supervisor.
      Instructor of Record. The instructor of record for all internship work must be a University of Connecticut faculty member or a person approved, in writing, to serve in that capacity by the Head or Director of the Department or Program offering the internship. The instructor of record is responsible for assigning the grades.
      Internship Supervisor. Each student must have an assigned internship supervisor at the work site. The internship supervisor must agree (by signing the contract) to supervise the work and to participate in the evaluation of the student’s performance at the end of the internship. Interns may not be supervised by undergraduate students.

      Student Eligibility

      The Committee recommends that students on academic probation not be allowed to register for more than six credits of internship course work.


      Internships in CLAS may be offered under two different headings. Departments may require concurrent enrollment under both titles (field study and research seminar).

      • Internship: Field Study, involving the line or staff operation of a business or agency. Grading in a course titled “Internship Field Study” must be on a S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) basis.
      • Internship: Research/Seminar. Letter grades may be assigned in courses titled Internship: Research/Seminar.

      Other Restrictions

      Payment: The College does not forbid monetary payment for internship work, provided that such payment is incidental to the experiential learning to be gained from the work.

      Lobbying: Some internships allow students to participate in organizations and advocacy groups that perform or disseminate research, or engage in legislative lobbying, in order to affect the content of legislation or budgetary decisions. The Committee recommends that internship supervisors not assign student interns to activities on behalf of legislation or budget decisions directly affecting the University of Connecticut. It is especially in the best interests of the University that none of its interns be engaged in face-to-face legislative lobbying for the University.

      Readmission to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

      Whenever there is a gap in a student’s attendance, regardless of the reason, the student must apply for readmission through the Dean of Students Office. Readmission is not guaranteed, and criteria used in determining readmission include, but are not limited to, academic progress, university discipline history, and criminal history.

      Students who have been scholastically dismissed may apply for readmission once they’ve met the requirements outlined below.

      Steps to Readmission after Dismissal

      Students who have been dismissed from the University may, during a later semester, request an evaluation for readmission. Readmission after dismissal is neither automatic nor guaranteed and will be considered favorably only when a student’s readmission application indicates a strong probability for academic success. Students seeking readmission to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) are required to apply for readmission through the Dean of Students Office.

      In addition to completing this application, students must meet the following requirements before their application will be reviewed by CLAS:

      I. Time Away

      • First Dismissal: Students who are dismissed from the University for the first time must wait at least two consecutive semesters (fall and spring) before applying for readmission. Winter and Summer intersessions are not included in the calculation of time away.
      • Second Dismissal: Students who are dismissed from the University a second time must wait at least four years (eight consecutive semesters, fall and spring) before applying for readmission.
      • Third Dismissal: No student will be readmitted to the University after a third dismissal.

      II. Successful Completion of Additional Academic Work

      • Students must successfully complete at least twelve college-level credits after being dismissed. In order for a course to count toward this requirement, it must be completed after the semester in which the student was dismissed, and a final grade must be posted at the time of the student’s application submission. Typically, students complete additional academic work in one of two ways:
        • Complete non-degree courses at the University of Connecticut – With approval from an advisor in the CLAS Academic Services Center, students who have been dismissed have the option to take up to eight credits per semester of non-degree coursework at the University of Connecticut. If approved, students may register through Non-Degree Services in the Office of the Registrar.
        • Transfer courses from other academic institutions – Students may satisfy some or all of their readmission requirements by completing courses at other institutions. All transfer credits must adhere to the standard Undergraduate Admission Transfer Credit Guidelines. Students have the option to complete courses at:
          • In-State Institutions – For students interested in completing coursework in Connecticut, but not at UConn, the Undergraduate Admissions Office has listed the transfer course equivalencies for all Connecticut universities, colleges, and community colleges.
          • Out-of-State Institutions – Students who intend to transfer out-of-state coursework to UConn must be aware that the transferred credits will not count toward their UConn grade point average, and that courses cannot be applied to their major or related areas without the permission of their UConn faculty advisor.
      • Students must receive grades of “B” or higher in courses taken after being dismissed.
      • Students must complete courses that will show progress toward their desired degree plan or major.

      Readmitted Students

      In their first regular semester after readmission, dismissed students will be on scholastic probation and must adhere to the CLAS Scholastic Probation Policies and Procedures. Additionally, readmitted students will follow the catalog requirements for the semester of their readmission.

      Scholastic Probation

      View the University Senate Bylaws on Scholastic Warning, Probation, and Dismissal

      Scholastic probation is an identification of students whose scholastic performance is below University standards. The student and the student’s advisor are informed that a marked academic improvement in future semesters is necessary to obtain the minimum scholastic standards.

      Students are on scholastic probation for the next semester in which they are enrolled if their academic performance is such that they are included in any of the following conditions:

      • Students who have earned 0-11 credits (considered to be first semester standing) and who have earned less than a 1.8 semester grade point average.
      • Students who have earned 12-23 credits (considered to be second semester standing) and who have earned less than a 1.8 semester grade point average.
      • Students who have earned 24 credits or more (considered to be third semester or higher) and who have earned less than a 2.0 semester grade point average or cumulative grade point average.

      Warning letters will be sent to students in good standing who have completed their first or second semester with less than a 2.0 semester grade point average.

      The end of the semester is defined as the day when semester grades must be submitted to the Registrar. This must occur no later than seventy-two hours after the final examination period ends.

      The academic status of undergraduate students at the University of Connecticut is determined by their semester and cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) at the conclusion of each semester. Earned grades of A through to F are used to calculate the GPA. A student placed on probation with unresolved grades will be relieved of probation status if satisfactory completion of the work places his or her academic performance above the probation standards. Grades, including T, I, X, N, U, P@, F@, S, U, AU and W, do not earn grade points and are not factored into the GPA calculations.

      Any student placed on scholastic probation because of a cumulative grade point average less than 2.0 shall be removed from probation when the cumulative grade point average reaches 2.0 or above.

      Students will remain on probation until both their semester and cumulative GPA reaches 2.0.

      Please see the UConn Undergraduate Catalog for more information regarding academic policies and procedures.

      College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students who are placed on scholastic probation will have the following conditions attached to their enrollment:

      • There is a 14 credit limit on their account and they must adjust their credits by the 10th day of classes or the ASC will adjust their schedule for them.
      • The student is required to fill out an Academic Recovery Plan.
      • The student is required to meet with an advisor in the Academic Services Center during the semester. Students must complete the Academic Recovery Plan PRIOR to meeting with an ASC Advisor. After the 10th day of classes an enrollment hold will be placed on their account, which will only be lifted once they’ve met with an ASC advisor.

      Second Language Policy

      A student meets the minimum requirement if admitted to the University with three years of a single foreign language in high school, or the equivalent. When the years of study have been split between high school and earlier grades, the requirement is met if the student has successfully completed the third-year high school level course. If the student doesn’t meet the aforementioned requirements, then they must pass the second semester of the intermediate sequence in a language, OR both the elementary and intermediate levels of study in a single language.

      Students in Liberal Arts and Sciences who have not passed a third-year high school-level course in a single foreign language must complete the CLAS language requirement by:

      • High school work and an added year (2 semesters) of intermediate level college courses, or
      • Two years (4 semesters) of a single foreign language through the intermediate level in college.

      Language Contacts

      Spanish: Professor Eduardo Urios-Aparisi

      French: Professor Eliane DalMolin or Professor Valerie Saugera

      German: Professor Manuela Wagner

      Italian: Professor Philip Balma

      Ancient Greek and Latin: Professor Roger Travis

      Hebrew and Judaic Studies, Modern and Biblical Hebrew: Professor Stuart Miller

      All other languages: Professor Florence Marsal

      Implementation Guidelines

      • If a student enters the University with less than 3 years of a foreign language (as stated in the Second Language Competency of the General Education Requirement), they must then successfully complete the elementary level (followed by the intermediate level), or the second semester of the intermediate level of a language. Students in CLAS will need 4 semesters or 2 years in a single foreign language under this circumstance.
      • If a student has had 3 years of a foreign language from an American High School and wishes to repeat the first two semesters, or elementary level, while at UConn, they will not earn credits toward their degree by doing so.
      • If a student has had 3 years of a foreign language from an American High School and wishes to study more of the same language, they can take – and will get credits for – anything above the second semester, or elementary, level.
      • If a student who has taken a foreign language at the high school is registered for the intermediate, or second year, level, and cannot perform at this level, they need to contact the head of Modern and Classical Languages who, in consultation with the Instructor of record and the directors of foreign language program will guide the student on a suitable course of action.
      • Transfer Students w/ Three Years of High School Foreign Language: If a transfer student was placed in an elementary foreign language course through a proficiency exam at another institution, despite having studied that language for 3 years in High School, they may contact the Head of Modern and Classical Languages about permission to receive credits for the elementary courses. Credits will only be given if the student can present evidence of a policy from the other university’s catalog demonstrating that they had to take a placement test and thus were required to take the elementary courses.
      • English as a Second Language: If a student has an existing second-language ability not developed through coursework (for example, a student whose native language is not English, bilingual students, or heritage speakers) they may, with the approval of the Head of the Department of Literatures, Cultures, and Languages, demonstrate their second-language competency through examination or by showing proof that English is not their native language (e.g. high school transcripts, ESL courses, etc.). The student should contact the Department Head as soon as possible when beginning their academic career. This is especially critical for “less-commonly-taught languages” where outside consultants might be needed and the examination may take some time to arrange.