Resources for Students

Current Students

There many University offices and resources designed to help current UConn students succeed during their time on campus and beyond. Below is a collection of selected resources that are particularly relevant to CLAS undergraduate students.

Academic Calendar

Our events page includes a list of important dates from the UConn Academic Calendar, such as deadlines for adding and dropping courses and class registration periods.

Visit the Office of the Registrar's website for the full academic calendar.

Academic Exploration and Achievement

Academic Achievement Center (AAC)
The goal of the AAC is to help every student perform at their highest academic level. Student coaches in the AAC are successful UConn students trained to work one-on-one with peers. Areas of Interest include: study skills, memory techniques, time management, note taking, test preparation, goal setting, and more.

Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES)
The Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES) is UConn’s academic advising program for students who want to explore the University’s academic opportunities before deciding on a field of study. ACES also works with students who must complete specific requirements before applying to a University program.

First-Year Programs & Learning Communities
First Year Programs & Learning Communities provides guidance, opportunities, and resources for students to successfully engage with the University and become learners with a purpose.

Advisement Report

The advisement report is available through the Student Administration System and helps students track their progress towards completing their academic program. It identifies completed and outstanding general education requirements, major requirements, and minor requirements. The advisement report projects ahead, assuming that all courses a student enrolls in will be successfully completed (i.e. a passing grade is earned).

To access this report, log into the Student Administration System:

  • From the Main Menu Self-Service window, select Student Center
  • Under Academics, navigate to Other Academics drop-down menu
  • Select Academic Requirements
  • Your Advisement Report should appear

Note: The “total units” statement for major credits and cumulative credits include credits from courses in progress, registered for, and courses with temporary grades (I, X, or N).

All requirements that are collapsed on this page have been successfully completed and requirements that are expanded are outstanding. To view this document as a PDF, select the View Report as PDF button on the top right-hand side of the page. The system will generate a comprehensive report denoting a student’s progress towards degree completion and highlight all outstanding requirements.

The report will list degree requirements in the following order: University requirements, CLAS-specific requirements, major requirements, and, if applicable, minor requirements. Since the University requirements are listed first, your report may note that you have completed the requirements for content area one, however, it is important to check your progress in content area one in the CLAS-specific section.

Additional Notes

  • The section noting the additional requirements of CLAS omits areas that do not differ from University requirements.
  • Course history is the last page of the PDF report. It indicates earned credits, which does not include credits that are in progress (IP).

Advising Terms and Definitions

The following terms and definitions may be used in meetings with your advisor or in reference to the Student Administration System.

Term Definition
Co-requisite Course that must be completed concurrently with another course.
Cross-listed number Courses listed under more than one academic department and/or course
Dynamic class search An easy course search engine that lists class information and availability in real-time
Enrollment appointment
(aka registration date or
pick date)
The date and time a student can begin registering for classes for the upcoming semester or term.
Instructor consent The Instructor’s consent is needed to enroll in the class. If consent is granted, the professor will assign the student a permission number that the student will use to enroll in the class.
Meets with Course could be offered together with another course, but not be the same (ie: meets with honors section that requires more academic work for those students). This does not necessarily mean you can enroll in the section. The classes meet together but may give different credit to the different sections.
NetID Your UConn ID number that includes your initials (i.e. xxx00000).
PeopleSoft # A student’s 7-digit StudentAdmin number (0000000).
Permission number Permission numbers may be used to a) gain access to instructor-consent-only classes, b) override co- and pre- requisites and c) overenroll a class.
Plan of Study A document that lists all the requirements necessary to complete a major or minor.
Pre-requisite Specific requirements that must be met prior to enrollment in a class. Examples include the completion of one or more class(es) and class standing. Class standing is based on the number of credits completed.
Reserve Cap Some class seats are reserved for students that meet a specific criteria (i.e. class standing, major, minor). The Dynamic Class Search lists the number of unreserved seats available.
Shopping cart The shopping cart is a holding area for the courses students wish to enroll in. Placing a class in the shopping cart does not complete enrollment nor does it place the student on the wait list. Students can place as many courses as well as multiple sections of the same course in their shopping cart. Back-up class options are highly encouraged.
Student Administration
Help System
A step-by-step pictorial view of how to complete frequently used functions in StudentAdmin.
University Catalog The University Catalog is a comprehensive list of all University and major requirements, course descriptions, and policies. This document explains students’ academic rights, responsibilities, and obligations.
Waitlist A function in StudentAdmin that allows students to identify their interest in enrolling in a specific class or section. Students that gain access to a waitlisted class may receive a permission number.

Cultural Centers and Diversity

Asian American Cultural Center (AsACC)
The AsACC provides resources to enhance the University’s diversity commitment through its recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, service, and outreach to the Asian American community on campus and beyond.

H. Fred Simons African American Cultural Center (AACC)
The AACC promotes cultural preservation, leadership development, academic excellence, and intercultural communication through programs and activities that are designed to give students an appreciation and an understanding of the heritage and cultural experiences of African Americans and people of African descent in the United States and throughout the world.

Middle Eastern Cultural Programs (MECP)
The Middle Eastern Cultural Programs (MECP) strive to foster connections between students, promote the education of Middle Eastern culture, celebrate the intersectionality of identities, and advocate for the professional development of students

Native American Cultural Programs (NACP)
NACP is here to serve UConn’s Native and Indigenous students while educating our surrounding UConn community on our histories, cultures, traditional ways of life & more.

Office of Institutional Equity (OIE)
The Office of Institutional Equity ensures the University’s commitment to diversity, multiculturalism, and social equity in teaching, research, outreach, and administration.

Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center (PRLACC)
The Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center’s mission is to improve the status of Latinx individuals and to promote awareness, understanding, and appreciation of the richness and diversity of Latinx individuals and Latin American cultures.

Rainbow Center
The Rainbow Center is committed to serving the LGBTQIA+ community, promoting education and healthy dialogue, and reducing the alienation and bias felt within the LGBTQIA+ community.

Women’s Center
The mission of the Women’s Center is to advocate, educate, and provide support services for the achievement of gender equity at the University and within the community at large.

View a list of the College's academic centers and institutes.

View the College's Diversity web page

Dean of Students

Dean of Students Office
The Dean of Students Office serves as an advocate for students and as a centralized resource for connecting students with appropriate University and community programs, offices, and individuals. The office supports students in resolving educational, personal, and other university concerns that affect the quality of their academic or community life and personal goals.

Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services
Part of the Dean of Students Office, Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services serves as an advocate for students and centralized resource for off-campus living.

Financial Aid

Office of Student Financial Aid Services
The Office of Student Financial Aid Services is part of the Division of Enrollment Planning and Management. If you have questions about your financial aid package or how to finance your education, please visit their site.


Guide for New CLAS Students

This webpage outlines the important advising information, policies, options, and resources for current UConn students transitioning to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS).

View the Guide for New Students.

Honors Program

Honors Program

The Honors Program brings together a diverse group of highly talented undergraduates from across UConn’s schools and colleges, each with a record of significant academic success and engagement.

Medical Care, Mental Health, and Wellness

Psychological Services Clinic
The Psychological Services Clinic offers an array of mental health services to individuals, children, and families in Eastern Connecticut. Services are provided by graduate students under the supervision of licensed clinical psychologists and faculty members in the Department of Psychological Sciences.

Student Health and Wellness - Mental Health
Student Health and Wellness - Mental Health is part of the Division of Student Affairs. It's mission is to provide the highest quality clinical services to promote the emotional, relational, and academic potential of all students. They offer a wide variety of resources, including crisis services, meditation and stress relief, therapy, and psychiatric services.

Student Health and Wellness - Medical Care
Student Health and Wellness - Medical Care is a center that provides quality care and services tailored to the unique and diverse needs of students in higher education. The Center offers walk-in triage and care, primary care, mental health services, nutrition services, specialty clinics, inpatient care, and much more.

Pre-Professional Programs (Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, and Pre-Dentistry)

Pre-Law Center
The Pre-Law Center is designed to help students plan for law school and is committed to working with alumni and current students in their journey to becoming legal professionals. The Center offers workshops, events, and advising for interested parties.

Pre-Medicine and Pre-Dentistry
The Pre-Medicine and Pre-Dentistry Office provides systematic and sustained resources to the University community. University affiliates have access to individual advising, informational workshops, and professional school application process services.

Note: “Pre-med,” “pre-dent,” and "pre-law" are not recognized academic majors at UConn. While pursuing these careers, current undergraduate students must choose a recognized major at the University.

Residential Life

Residential Life

UConn Residential Life enhances students' personal, interpersonal, and intellectual growth by creating safe and inclusive environments, innovative programs, and meaningful relationships. To learn more about Residential Life and your housing at UConn visit their site.


Students with Disabilities

Center for Students with Disabilities
The Center for Students with Disabilities seeks to accommodate students with documented disabilities to allow them equal access in their educational endeavors.

Academic Adjustments for Students with Learning Disabilities
The University of Connecticut is committed to achieving equal educational opportunity and full participation for persons with disabilities. In limited cases involving a significant disability, academic adjustments to curriculum requirements are provided to students where the graduation expectations for the quantitative skills and/or second language proficiency are a barrier to the completion of a degree. Each academic adjustment will be based on the individual case and should not compromise the academic integrity of the requirements for a specific major or degree.

To learn more, please review the College's policy on academic adjustments for students with disabilities and visit the UConn Advising website.

Study Abroad

Study Abroad Programs
UConn's Experiential Global Learning program coordinates opportunities for students to study abroad in dozens of countries spanning six continents. View a list of study abroad programs.

Earning Credits While Abroad
Any UConn student who participates in Experiential Global Learning can earn credit for the courses they take abroad. Some courses will be evaluated as direct equivalents of UConn courses. Others will be granted the generic study abroad credit.

An academic department must evaluate any course that is not pre-approved for the program that the student is attending. Certain courses have also been pre-approved as substitutions for CLAS general education requirements. In preparation for a study abroad program, students should visit the Experiential Global Learning website for information about course alignments and to learn about UConn general education substitutions.

Tutoring Services

Quantitative (Q) Center
The University of Connecticut’s Quantitative Learning Center (Q Center) is a resource to elevate the proficiency of students taking quantitative intensive (Q) courses across the undergraduate curriculum. The Q-Center provides peer tutoring, review sessions, and innovative learning tools.

Writing Center
The Writing Center is committed to critical inquiry and research. The Writing Center provides free tutoring and writing workshops designed to help students become stronger writers.

Departmental Tutoring

Chemistry Tutoring
During the Fall and Spring semesters, a list of course tutors will be available following the 10th day of classes. Students seeking a private tutor may contact to request the appropriate list. These tutors work as paid tutors, and all arrangements are made directly between the student and the prospective tutor.

Economics Tutoring
Tutoring is offered by the Department of Economics to support students in Econ 1000, 1200, 1201, 1202 2201, 2202, 2211Q, 2212Q and 2311Q.

Physics Tutoring
The Physics Learning Resource Center (PLRC) is the place to go for all things physics. Questions about your homework assignment? Want a fresh take on concepts related to your physics class? The PLRC is the place for you.

Undocumented Student Resources

Undocumented Student Resources
The University of Connecticut strives to perpetuate an environment in which all students have the necessary resources and opportunities to be successful academically, socially, and professionally regardless of their citizenship status. Our mission is to ensure that undocumented individuals have the support and reassurance of being able to pursue their goals of higher education; from the admissions process to navigating through campus.

Veterans Affairs

Veterans Affairs and Military Programs
Veterans Affairs and Military Programs provides a full range of benefits to students who have or continue to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. Services include benefits processing, event programming, and community outreach. In addition, the University provides a social space for veterans, the Veterans Oasis, in the Student Union, and study space for veterans in the Arjona building.

Need help finding an internship? Want to get involved in research? Looking for career advising? Visit the CLAS website for these and other resources.


More resources for CLAS undergraudate students

Admitted Students

Resources for students who have been admitted to the University of Connecticut.

Admitted First-Year Student Checklist

Congratulations on being accepted to UConn! So what's next? This checklist on the Office of Admissions website outlines next steps for admitted students.

First-Year Orientation

All incoming first-year students are required to attend an orientation session. During orientation, students will meet virtually with their orientation leader and other incoming students, register for classes, learn about University and College resources, and more.

Find out more about first-year orientation at the Storrs and regional campuses.

View the CLAS Orientation page.

Guide for New CLAS Students

This webpage outlines the important advising information, policies, options, and resources for incoming first-year and transfer students to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS).

View the Guide for New Students.

Undergraduate Catalog

The UConn Undergraduate Catalog is the official record of the University's academic requirements and policies. The catalog is updated each year with the latest information about major, minor, and course offerings at UConn.

View the University's academic regulations

View degree requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Browse the undergraduate course directory

Transferring Advanced Placement (AP) and Early College Experience (ECE) Credits

Students can acquire credits that they can use toward their UConn degree before they even step foot on campus.

View the full list of AP examination transfer guidelines

Learn more about transferring AP credits and ECE credits to CLAS on our Courses and Credits page

Campus Change and Transfer Students

Resources for students who are transferring to the UConn Storrs campus from a regional campus or another higher-education institution.

Transfer Admissions

Interested in transferring to the University of Connecticut? Visit the UConn Transfer Admissions website for information about admissions requirements, key dates, and how to apply.

Transfer Orientation

Students who are transferring to UConn from another higher-education institution must attend a transfer orientation session. The University holds sessions for both fall and spring admits.

Find out more about transfer orientation.

Campus Change Process

Students can transfer from a regional campus to the Storrs campus if they have:

  • Achieved 54 credits at the regional campus
  • Completed a campus change form from the student services office at their regional campus by the appropriate deadline
  • Attended the campus change meeting at their regional campus

Students should work with their advisor to plan out subsequent semester course loads and decide when a change of campus is warranted. Students may take courses at any campus: Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, Storrs, and Waterbury. However, students must be registered for the majority of their credits at their home campus. The home campus is the campus to which the student was admitted unless an authorized campus change has taken place. If a student is enrolled in coursework across two campuses evenly, the student can choose their home campus. Regional campus students interested in campus changing to Storrs should see the student services office on their campus for information regarding Storrs’ on-campus housing deadlines and other important deadlines.

New CLAS Student Guide

This webpage outlines the important advising information, policies, options, and resources for incoming first-year and transfer students to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS).

View the CLAS Guide for New Students.

Getting Acclimated

The following events and resources help campus change and transfer students to find out more about the Storrs campus, learn about resources, and meet new people.

New to Storrs Workshops

All campus change and transfer students are invited to participate in events hosted by the CLAS New to Storrs advisors once they arrive in Storrs. This event series addresses both academic and transitional opportunities. Keep an eye out for specific dates and times of upcoming events on the CLAS Undergraduate Calendar.

New to Storrs Advisor contacts

Sarah Fillion, Academic Advisor

Transfer Connections

Transfer Connections is a University-wide initiative aimed at improving the experience of UConn transfer students. Visit the Transfer Connections website to find resources and more information for future transfers, new transfers, and students who have already transferred to the University.

Transfer Credits

UConn credit is granted for courses that are (a) from a regionally accredited, degree-granting college or university; (b) comparable in content and quality to courses offered at UConn, and (c) completed with a minimum grade of a “C” (2.0). Read the College's policies on transferring previously earned credits.

International Students

Resources for current UConn students on a student visa (H2/J1) who are not citizens of the United States.

Admitted International Student Checklist

Congratulations on being accepted to UConn! So what's next? This checklist on the Office of Admissions website outlines next steps for admitted international students.

CLAS Advising for International Students

The CLAS Academic Services Center coordinates all academic events for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and provides supplemental advising for international students. During their first semester at UConn, international students must visit the Center to make changes to their schedule. Students are also encouraged to schedule an overview appointment with a Center advisor within a month of their arrival. Additionally, students must visit either their academic advisor or a Center advisor prior to their registration appointment during their first semester at UConn.

A registration hold preventing students from enrolling in classes will be placed on their accounts and will only be removed after students have met with advisors.

It is important to note that international students must remain registered for at least 12 credits to remain in compliance with their visa requirements.

International students may drop below 12 credits under very limited circumstances. For questions regarding a student’s eligibility to drop below 12 credits, please contact the Office of International Student & Scholar Services.

Note: Dropping below 12 credits is not guaranteed and students should continue attending all classes until they receive permission to drop below 12 credits.

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) supports the greater internationalization of UConn through the development and delivery of services and programs that help our international students. ISSS is responsible for organizing international student orientation, planning events designed to aid students’ social transition, and providing help regarding students’ immigration status.

The ISSS website has a comprehensive list of resources and programs for international students on topics like academic help and acquiring health insurance.

View resources for admitted international students

View resources for current international students

English Language Resources

The ability to communicate with the people around you is of vital importance. If a student is a non-native speaker, the lack of familiarity with a given language may be a source of discomfort and an inhibitor to building strong relationships and successful transition.

Below are a few English language resources, on and off-campus that can help students strengthen their English language skills and abilities.

Local in-person Resources

Writing Center
The Writing Center provides free tutoring and writing workshops designed to help students become stronger writers. This is a great resource to help students in ENGL 1003, 1004, 1010/1011 classes, and any class that requires writing a paper.

Vernon Regional Adult Basic Education (VRABE)
VRABE provides free English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for students in the surrounding towns of UConn Storrs. Students have the opportunity to practice speaking, listening, reading, and writing with their peers while receiving guidance from a teacher. Classes are available during the fall and spring semesters and require picture I.D. for registration purposes.

Cross-Cultural Connections
Cross-Cultural Connections is a resource for international students to help improve their English speaking skills as well as ease their transition into the American and UConn culture. It helps students bridge cultural gaps and fosters more open-minded individuals. Students are matched in a 1-on-1 format and they meet at mutually convenient times. Partners meetings are flexible and the time commitment is between 1 and 2 hours per week.

Online Resources

BBC Learning English
BBC Learning English is an online tool that offers help with vowel and consonant pronunciations, colloquialisms, and general English language. This free resource is a great way for students to improve their English vocabulary and practice their English using guided pronunciation.

EduFind has a great English grammar guide that can help students learn parts of speech as well as how to use parts of speech when writing and speaking.